FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JUNE 25, 2003

CONTACT: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

Newsroom: 323-857-8751

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bush Administration's Orwellian Logic: Anti-Gay Discrimination
is "Civil Rights and Religious Liberty"

  WASHINGTON - June 25 - The National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force condemned the Bush Administration's position paper on the
Faith-Based Initiative recently sent to Capitol Hill and
reported in today's Washington Post. The position paper argues
that faith-based service providers receiving public money
should be able to discriminate in hiring for jobs funded by
federal and state funds. It explicitly says that these
providers should be able to discriminate on the basis of sexual
orientation, and portrays state and local gay rights laws as a
hindrance to serving the needs of African American and Latino
urban poor.

Statement by National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Executive
Director Matt Foreman:

"As people around the country celebrate Gay Pride, and on the
eve of the Supreme Court's historic ruling on the Texas law
criminalizing homosexuality, the Bush Administration is telling
America that it's perfectly fine to discriminate against gay
people. Equally offensive, the Administration is portraying
anti-gay discrimination as 'civil rights and religious
liberty,' and portrays laws prohibiting anti-gay discrimination
as a threat to meeting the needs of poor people of color.

We consider this a declaration of war on the civil rights
protections our community has won through hard-fought battles
in many states and hundreds of municipalities across the nation
over the last thirty years.

This Orwellian language is outrageous, it's un-American, and
it's unconstitutional. The Bush Administration is
misrepresenting Title VII of the Civil Rights Act - which
allows religious groups to discriminate in hiring, but not with
public money. Two lesbians and a straight Jewish man have
already been discriminated against by faith-based providers
using state funds in Kentucky and Georgia. If this goes
through, gay people and others who are unpopular with some
faiths could be denied jobs in certain professions in entire
states or regions of the country. We cannot allow this to
happen in our country.

What religious groups do with their own money is their
business. But when they use our tax dollars and then say they
won't hire us for jobs that we help fund, that is unacceptable.
Fair-minded people understand this basic distinction.

We call on Congress to stand up for American values and reject
this policy of discrimination. How can we claim to promote
human rights around the world when we are attacking basic
rights at home?"

The Bush Administration's memo, (must have PDF viewer to
download) argues that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act allows
religious entities to discriminate in hiring. While such
discrimination is allowed with private funds, whether or not
it's legal for faith-based groups to discriminate in employment
funded by state or federal dollars has not been established.

Civil rights and civil liberties groups ranging from the NAACP
to Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the
American Civil Liberties Union, and People for the American Way
believe that the Title VII exemption cannot constitutionally
apply to jobs that are funded by the federal government.

According to these groups, the Title VII exemption is
constitutionally limited to privately funded positions. Indeed,
although the Supreme Court has not definitively ruled on this
issue, at least one federal court has held that it would be
unconstitutional for a religious institution to invoke the
Title VII exemption for a federally-funded job. See Dodge v.
Salvation Army, 1989 WL 53857 (S.D. Miss. Jan. 9, 1989).

The Bush memo justifies its encouragement of discrimination by
characterizing this policy as "safeguard[ing] the religious
liberty of faith-based organizations that partner with the
Federal government, so that they may respond with compassion to
those in need in our country." It portrays state and local
nondiscrimination laws as "uncertain regulatory waters" that
are "simply too difficult and costly for many faith-based
organizations to navigate..." It ignores the cost of
discrimination to those who are not even considered for
employment, or who are fired, because they are the "wrong"
sexual orientation, religion, gender or race. It says that
forcing religious groups to hire gay people would be like
forcing Planned Parenthood to hire people who are anti-choice
and anti-birth control. In fact, being gay is not a matter of
ideology or belief; it is a matter of who people are.

The Bush Administration memo also portrays gay rights laws as a
hindrance to meeting the service needs of low-income people:
"This hodgepodge of conflicting approaches has led to
confusion... and a consequent reluctance by many faith-based
groups to seek support from Federally funded programs... The
real losers are the homeless, the addicted, and others who are
denied access to a range of effective social service providers,
including faith-based providers."

Rev. Eugene Rivers of Boston makes a similar claim:
"Faith-based organizations must be protected from the kind of
discrimination that would prevent us from hiring the people who
are best equipped to fulfill our mission and do the work...This
discrimination is a violation of the civil rights of religious
groups and would effectively prevent the delivery of services
to this country's black and brown urban poor."

Faith-based service providers have long played a critical role
in providing services, particularly to African Americans and
immigrants, who were often not able to access other service
providers due to discrimination. But until charitable choice
and the faith-based initiative, religious providers had to set
up separate, secular 501c3 organizations to administer public
funds, and could not discriminate in hiring or the delivery of
services funded by public monies.

President Bush is seeking to transfer up to $8 billion a year
in federal funds to religious service providers. Allowing
religious groups to discriminate in hiring for jobs funded by
federal monies could open the door to widespread discrimination
on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual
orientation, gender, marital status, and other characteristics.
Regulatory oversight and professional training standards are
also greatly diminished.

For more on the threats posed by the faith-based initiative,
see 'Leaving Our Children Behind: Welfare Reform and the Gay,
Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Community', in the National
Gay and Lesbian Task Force publications library.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

[IMPORTANT NOTE: The views and opinions expressed on this
list are solely those of the authors and/or publications,
and do not necessarily represent or reflect the official
political positions of the Black Radical Congress (BRC).
Official BRC statements, position papers, press releases,
action alerts, and announcements are distributed exclusively
via the BRC-PRESS list. As a subscriber to this list, you
have been added to the BRC-PRESS list automatically.]

[Articles on BRC-NEWS may be forwarded and posted on other
mailing lists, as long as the wording/attribution is not altered
in any way. In particular, if there is a reference to a web site
where an article was originally located, do *not* remove that.

Unless stated otherwise, do *not* publish or post the entire
text of any articles on web sites or in print, without getting
*explicit* permission from the article author or copyright holder.
Check the fair use provisions of the copyright law in your country
for details on what you can and can't do.

As a courtesy, we'd appreciate it if you let folks know how to
subscribe to BRC-NEWS, by leaving in the first seven lines of the
signature below.]

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>