both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power
concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never
will."

-Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857

It's a fact: there is a broadly-based, if loosely-connected,
independent progressive movement in this country. It is by no
means as coherent as it needs to become, but my assessment is
that there are hundreds of thousands of people around the
country who see themselves as activists for social change who
are clear that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans are
the answer for the deep crises we are facing today.

Many of these people are members of the Green Party, or the
Labor Party, or one of several local or state "third parties"
around the country-the Progressive Party in Vermont, the United
Citizens Party in South Carolina, Progressive Dane in
Wisconsin, the Peace and Freedom Party in California, the
Mountain Party in West Virginia, the Green-Rainbow Party in
Massachusetts, the Working Families Party in New York, or
others.

Probably more independent activists are not members of one of
these parties, for various reasons. But these people tend to
vote for independents on election day and to speak up in
opposition to the corrupt and depressing reality of our
corporate-dominated, two-party political system.

Just about all of us, I would guess, participated in the
historic, world-wide, pre-war peace movement late last year and
early this year. That movement brought out upwards of a couple
of million people in this country to at least one street
demonstration over that period of time.

Now, two months after that war was supposedly ended-or, more
accurately, that "battle" in the planned on-going war-the Bush
Administration is facing serious problems. They are contending
with growing insurgencies in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Their
lies about Iraq's "weapons of mass destruction" have been
exposed and could blow up in their faces. Combined with a
sputtering economy and massive federal indebtedness two years
after a multi-trillion dollar surplus, there are ample grounds
to expect Bush's poll numbers to continue to slide.

We in the independent progressive movement can help this
process along. We can build a significantly stronger mass
popular movement over the next 16 months leading up to the
November 4, 2004 election.

What should be the major objectives for our movement over that
period of time? In my view, there are three: 1) replacing Bush
with a Democrat (since we're not yet strong or organized enough
to replace him with a Green or an independent), 2) seeing the
Republicans lose control of at least one house of Congress, and
3) contributing to these objectives in a way which maintains
our political independence, keeps the Green Party out there
nationally as a visible political player, and strengthens our
unity and organization.

It is critical that we not get absorbed into the Democratic
Party. We need to function independent of it because we cannot
depend upon that big money-dominated institution, left to its
own devices, to accomplish either or both of those first two
objectives. We also need to function independently because we
all know that whoever is in office come January 20, 2005, we
need a strong and more unified independent progressive movement
to press for genuine, positive, fundamental change.

Here are some proposals for how we can best accomplish these
three objectives:

BUTTON-WEARING: We should all be wearing anti-Bush buttons-Dump
Bush in '04; Bush Must Go; Dump Bush-Build Independent
Politics; Bush Must Go-The People Yes!; other creative
slogans--everywhere we go, as much as possible. This is a small
but very important way that movements are built. We should
carry a few extra with us and recruit others to buy and wear
them. WE NEED MASS VISIBILITY OF ANTI-BUSH SENTIMENT!

BUMPER-STICKERING: Same thing as with buttons. Let's get them
up not just on the back bumpers of our cars but on poles,
walls, wherever people will see them.

TRUTH SQUADS WHEREVER BUSH GOES: When Bush, or others from his
campaign, are speaking publicly we should be there, in the
largest numbers we can mobilize, as loudly and visibly as
possible.

REGISTER THE "SLEEPING GIANT": The "sleeping giant" for our
movement is those potential voters-50% of them--who are so
turned off that they don't come out and vote. We need to carry
voter registration forms and do organized voter registration in
low-income communities and among youth, two major disaffected
groups. We need to agitate about the importance of this
upcoming election and the need for people to come out and vote
for anybody but Bush and for progressive candidates in other
races.

POPULAR EDUCATION: We need to be about using language and
putting together educational materials that are accessible and
understandable by masses of people. What about the organizing
of people's theatre groups to put together short skits and
perform them in parks, on the street, wherever there are
people? What about dump-Bush concerts where voter registration
and sign-ups for grassroots organizing are prominently pushed?
We need to think creatively and think popularly. This is not
the time for small-group, leftist discussions on ideological
fine points.

PUMP UP AUGUST 29th, 2004: Coming out of United for Peace and
Justice's national conference three weeks ago, it looks as if
this could become a day that "The World Says No to Bush" the
way February 15th was a day the world said no to war. There
will be a massive demonstration on this day in New York City as
the Republican Convention is about to begin, and there is
already interest from groups in other countries in the idea of
this being an international day of protest.

DEFEND THE VOTE: The so-called "Help America Vote Act" requires
every state to computerize, centralize and purge voter roles
before 2004. This opens up the possibility of more Jeb
Bush/Katherine Harris-type purges of black or other
non-Republican voters in Republican-controlled states. There is
also growing concern about electronic voting machines with no
paper trail to guard against tampering or illegal programming.
We need to stay on top of these issues in our various states.

LOCAL UNITY-BUILDING: We must consciously work in our
localities to counter hostility between Greens or other third
partyites and rank-and-file progressive Democrats, people who
are in general agreement on issues but who may disagree
tactically over what to do as far as electoral politics. It is
one thing to have dialogue and debates; this is already
happening. But we need to find ways to maintain connections and
to find common projects to work on-such as voter registration,
watchdogging local election boards to counter possible
skullduggery, and agitation around issues, including issues
related to clean and democratic elections.

LOOK TO SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER'S ACTIONS: One of the positive
aspects of the pre-Iraq war peace movement was the minimal
amount of public antagonism between the three major coalitions,
UFPJ, ANSWER and Win Without War. This politically mature
approach needs to be continued and, if possible, built upon,
such as through open dialogue about differences in politics and
strategy, at the same time that events initiated by one
group-such as a projected UFPJ People's Convention next
spring-are supported by others.

A SAFE-STATES GREEN PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN: I've written
about this in a past column. The Greens should run a
Presidential candidate and put him or her on the ballot in as
many states as possible. But the tactics of that campaign
should be about concentrating and focusing resources in those
30-35 or so states where it is known well in advance of
election day whether Bush or the Democrat is going to win that
state's electoral votes.

16 months. That's how much time we've got to accomplish these
three goals. This is more than enough time if we apply our
collective energies, intelligence and dedication in a way
commensurate with both the urgency and the promise of this
coming period.

"Thank God our time is now when wrong
Comes up to face us everywhere,
Never to leave until we take
The longest stride of soul (we humans) ever took. Affairs are
now soul size."

-Christopher Fry

Ted Glick is the National Coordinator of the Independent
Progressive Politics Network (www.ippn.org), although these
ideas are solely his. He can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or at P.O. Box 1132, Bloomfield, N.J.
07003.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

[IMPORTANT NOTE: The views and opinions expressed on this
list are solely those of the authors and/or publications,
and do not necessarily represent or reflect the official
political positions of the Black Radical Congress (BRC).
Official BRC statements, position papers, press releases,
action alerts, and announcements are distributed exclusively
via the BRC-PRESS list. As a subscriber to this list, you
have been added to the BRC-PRESS list automatically.]

[Articles on BRC-NEWS may be forwarded and posted on other
mailing lists, as long as the wording/attribution is not altered
in any way. In particular, if there is a reference to a web site
where an article was originally located, do *not* remove that.

Unless stated otherwise, do *not* publish or post the entire
text of any articles on web sites or in print, without getting
*explicit* permission from the article author or copyright holder.
Check the fair use provisions of the copyright law in your country
for details on what you can and can't do.

As a courtesy, we'd appreciate it if you let folks know how to
subscribe to BRC-NEWS, by leaving in the first seven lines of the
signature below.]

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>