--- Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [I think the post-line isn't correct for my snippage,
> so I'm putting little tags for who I think wrote...]

You are correct

> [F]
> http://news.com.com/2009-1088-984352.html?tag=fd_rndm#38

> > consumer goods any more.
> > experimenting with tagging and tracking people.
> >
> [J] How is this any different than on StarTrek?
>
> [me] I think because as a member of Starfleet, you
> have chosen to go into dangerous space/situations, and
> it is an added safety factor [considering all the
> abductions and holodeck problems... ;} ]

Nope. On several episodes people ask the computer where family members or
business associates on the ground are.

> <snip>
> [R]> > > "Geordie" is not pronounced the same as
> "Gordy", either.
> >
> [J]  How so?
>
> [me] "Geordi" has a "j" sound, as in "jump;"  I
> *think* this is a "voiced G."  "Gordy" has a
> 'less-voiced' "g," as in "go get."  If anyone's really
> curious, I could ask my speech pathologist friend for
> the technical terms/descriptions.

Ok, I buy that, but how would you know without a doubt that this is the case?
Tell me the algorithm for determining the pronunciation without storing the
information as data. After some searching I find that geo usually sounds like
'j'. But what about my sister-in-law's name Geogk? Besides, his name is
"Jodee" not jeeardee and "geo" makes the jeea sound in every other case that
I can find. Maybe it's "Ge" that makes the 'j' but if that were true then
"get" and "jet" would sound alike.

The gentle and gentile geriatric German general was a genuine genius at
geography, geology, and geometry. As do many of his generation, he likes to
make generously loud gestures with gerunds, ~and~, he has very small
............geraniums.

=====