On Thursday 26 February 2009 04:32:26 pm Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > terminating inetd does not terminate any services already started by
> > inetd. I guess this is by design?
> > What is the preferred way to terminate such services?
> >
> >       Jocke
>
> So I noticed this in xinetd's man page:
>  SIGTERM        terminates   all   running  servers  before  terminating
>                 xinetd.
>
> This implies that inetd should terminate all services when receiving a
> TERM.
>
> bb, v1.12.2, inetd doesn't do that so I think that a bug in bb

google "man inetd SIGTERM"

The only resulting page which says that this should happen is this one:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/MAN/MAN8/0510____.HTM

Doesn't look like a usual Linux manpage/system to me.

Basically, this page says that "inetd -t" is equivalent to
"killall -TERM inetd" and that SIGTERM should make inetd kill
its children.

Does this match inetd's behavior on modern Linux distros?

This splits into two questions-
  1. Do they have "inetd -t"
  2. Does initd kills children on SIGTERM
     (please provide strace log of such event)

--
vda