I'm using Thunderbird 0.2 on win2k (with cygwin) to access a large
IMAP account. The account has a lot of mail, and is
"well-structured": lots of folders, fairly deep tree. Unfortunately
the account is at a university from which I recently graduated, and
will soon disappear into /dev/null.

I would like to download all the mail in the account to local
filespace, but preserving the structure, and to automate the process.
I note that, when (in thunderbird) I drag the IMAP account's INBOX
onto the Local Folders, tb recreates the folder structure, but does
not copy all the mail: the contents of INBOX are copied, but not the
contents of any subfolder ... and I have a lot of subfolders :-(

mailutil was recommended to me, so I got it from

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=uw-imap-util/uw-imap-util-2002e-1

and noticed

(*manpages*)mailutil
> mailutil transfer [-debug] [-verbose] [-merge m] [-rwcopy] src dst
<big snip>
> ARGUMENTS

>   The arguments are standard c-client mailbox names. A variety of
>   mailbox name formats and types of mailboxes are supported by
>   c-client; examples of the most common forms of names are:

>   Name           Meaning

>   INBOX          primary incoming mail folder on the local system

>   archive/tx-project
>                  mail folder named "tx-project" in "archive"
>                  subdirectory of local filesystem home directory

>   {imapserver.foo.com}INBOX
>                  primary incoming mail folder on IMAP server
>                  system "imapserver.foo.com"

>   {imapserver.foo.com}archive/tx-project
>                  mail folder named "tx-project" in "archive"
>                  subdirectory on IMAP server system
>                  "imapserver.foo.com"

>   #news.comp.mail.misc
>                  newsgroup "comp.mail.misc" on local filesystem

So I tried

$ mailutil transfer -debug -verbose -merge prompt {me.mail.big.edu}INBOX
/g/mail/

and got (something like :-)

[Trying IP address [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]]
* OK imap.big.edu Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.11 server ready
[imap.big.edu Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.11 server ready]
00000000 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=GSSAPI
AUTH=KERBEROS_V4 LISTEXT LIST-SUBSC
RIBED X-NETSCAPE
00000000 OK Completed
00000001 STARTTLS
00000001 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
[Certificate failure for me.mail.big.edu: self signed certificate in
certificate chain: /C=US/ST=Poor/L=Broke/O=Big State
University/OU=IT/CN=BSU-IT CA/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unfortunately I know nothing about certificate generation. Can anyone
point me at a quick'n'dirty one-shot implementation? Or another
workaround for this problem? Or a completely different alternative?

I thought I might get around this by ssh-ing in to ssh.big.edu to run
mailutil from there, hoping that I would not need certification
"inside the firewall"; but there `which mailutil` fails. <sigh/>
I have also posted [EMAIL PROTECTED], but based on past
experience and the current budgetary problems, I'm not holding my
breath <sigh x 2/>

If this is a FAQ, or the wrong forum for this question, please guide
me in the right direction. Otherwise, your help is appreciated.