On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Bob Smith wrote:
> dmail seems to stop working properly when my mailbox size hits 50MB. i have
> procmail configured to use dmail to deliver to my inbox, when the mailbox
> hits 50MB it stops growing which corrupts the mailbox. once the mailbox is
> full dmail delivers to temp files in the same directory as the mailbox.

There is no 50MB limit in dmail; however, dmail does collect the incoming
message to a tmpfile(), which is typically (depends upon your C library)
written to /tmp, /usr/tmp, or /var/tmp.

If dmail is unable to write the entire message to the tmpfile(), it
returns EX_TEMPFAIL to the calling program.

Only after successfully collecting the entire incoming message into the
tmpfile() will dmail even start to deliver the message to the mailbox.
Mail delivery is atomic with no partial delivery; it either completes in
entirely or fails entirely.

There is no mechanism in dmail to "deliver to temp files in the same
directory as the mailbox."  At least, there is not in the distribution
version.  If you are using a third-party patched version, e.g. one with a
maildir format driver, that may be a different story.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.