On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:42:15AM -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:
> I have been informed that it is *not* safe to assume that localhost is a
> secure pipe; and that localhost *can* be sniffed.

OUTCH! If there can be casese of leaking Information
from 'localhost' to 'the outside', I'd have to change
lots of little things here... Can you give me a hint?

Or did you mean 'can be sniffed on the same host'
which of course is possible and might be a problem,
if users can run arbitrary programs in 'mailscripts'
like postscript or other filters on the same host.

I assumed in my reply, that the users hopefully may
only access via apache, so nobody would be able to
start anything unusual on the host itself.

> I do not want imapd to be the center of attention of a security advisory
> because of an ill-considered decision to exempt localhost from the
> encryption rules.  There are still still flames about imapd being
> "insecure" because of problems that were fixed 5 years ago.

OH, I see, what you mean, but nobody should blame 'misuse'
or 'broken configs' to the 'program' (but to the 'installer').

That 'localhost'-problem would sound like flaming imap for
a break in the kernel of the system?

Stucki