On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Arnar Birgisson wrote:
> Is there any setting in UW imapd that makes this conversion, i.e. when
> Outlook requests an utf-7 encoded folder name, it looks in the
> filesystem for the ISO-8859-1 encoding of the same name?

No, there isn't any support for ISO-8859-1 (or any other local character
set) mailbox names, and there won't be.  If/when 8-bit octets in mailbox
names are supported in IMAP, they will be exclusively UTF-8.

The entire purpose of using the modified UTF-7 convention in IMAP was to
provide a transition, one in which all software can use and interoperate
(because it is 7-bit).  Supporting legacy character sets in mailbox names
would be a major step backwards.

In other words, my answer is that you should not use 8-bit octets in
mailbox names at all during this transition period, and mutt should be
fixed to know about the modified UTF-7 convention.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.