Hi,

  I have Eudora and Outlook clients that get frequent to occasional
  connection time outs when checking mail. I believe this is exclusively
  for the pop users but may be for imap also. We have ~300 users and
  the ratio of pop to imap is about 15 to 1.

  The problem we are seeing is that a check for incoming email will
  occasionally cause a timeout error:

   Could not connect to "mail.magnet.fsu.edu"

   Cause: Connection timed out (10060)

  Other attempts will be successful, with some timing out. Some users
  get this a lot, some only a few an hour. I see no relationship to the
  size of the incoming mailbox and the error.

 The server load level is low, usually 0.5 to 1.0 and top shows it
 hardly breaking a sweat. I see no errors in the log files to indicate
 what the problem is.

 The server is a dual processor Dell Power Edge 1750 with 2GB of RAM.
 It is running RHEL 3.0, sendmail 8.13.1 and UW IMAP 2004a.

 I've played with sittings for xinetd by increasing the number of connections
 allowed, turning off LIBWRAP and other things but nothing helps. I've also
 tried increasing the buffer size in the Advanced Network settings for Eudora
 but this doesn't help either.

 Do realize that this is an intermittent problem for individual clients. They
 will get the timeout but then they can turn around and check their email.

 I was running may email services under Solaris on an Ultra 10 which is
 not nearly as powerful as the dual Xeon PowerEdge 1750 and never had
 this problem with the same load.

 I have done a lot of searching and have not see anyone with this problem.
 I hope you guys have seen this before and can save my holidays!

 Thanks!     --Tom Combs

--
Tom Combs                                      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory        Phone:  (850) 644-1657