On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Erik Kangas wrote:

> We have found that it is the iptables connection state tracking modules
> that casuse issues like this, due to issues with depth of queue, data
> storage in the kernel, etc.  If you have only iptables rules that do not
> use connection state tracking, then you should be fine (though you may have
> to restart the machine to fully switch from connection state tracking to
> not, as once you start it, some kernel-level flags may get set that keep it
> up when iptables are used).

You ought to be ok with connection tracking (which is required for things
like incoming and outgoing FTP, unless everyone agrees on active/passive
mode) as long as you have ACCEPT rules without the --syn qualifier before
RedHat's default ESTABLISHED line.

I.e., this is good:

# /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 993 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 995 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 110 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

And this can be bad under high load:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 993 --syn -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 995 --syn -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 110 --syn -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 143 --syn -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
--
Rich Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
UNet Systems Administrator