Chris, thanks for the great advice and links. Blocking 143 at the firewall is the right solution.

In the meantime, I solved this by patching imapd.c thanks to Rich Graves who sent this 3-line insert patch which allows plain text from localhost:

<x-tad-bigger>*** imapd.c.orig Wed Jan 28 12:00:35 2004
--- imapd.c Fri Dec 31 13:05:49 2004
***************
*** 264,269 ****
--- 264,274 ----
/* initialize server */
server_init(pgmname,"imap","imaps",clkint,kodint,hupint,trmint);
/* forbid automatic untagged expunge */
+
+ if (strstr(tcp_clienthost (),"127.0.0.1") != NULL) {
+ mail_parameters(NIL,SET_DISABLEPLAINTEXT,NIL);
+ }
+
mail_parameters (NIL,SET_EXPUNGEATPING,NIL);
/* arm proxy copy callback */
mail_parameters (NIL,SET_MAILPROXYCOPY,(void *) proxycopy);
</x-tad-bigger>

(Also, FWIW, the second part of my initial email about plaintext authentication failure was simply due to my oversight: I had forgotten that the make target was "oxp" not "osx".)

Happy New Year,
-d