I have a question, or maybe I just need some advice. Consider this
situation please:

-There's a user called "info". The purpose of the user is to receive
mail that will end up in a shared mail box that members of a group
"info" can read and write to.
-Postfix delivers messages to /var/spool/info (traditional unix style
text file)
-An mbx INBOX exists in /home/info (created by mailutil create
#driver.mbx/INBOX)
-Another user, Sam, has a symbolic link: "/home/sam/mail/info" pointing
to  "/home/info/INBOX". (Sam has a popular imap client that cannot get
to mailboxes outside /home/sam/mail. Sam is very fond of this client
because it interoperates with his handheld computing device. Sam is the
boss.)

The user "info" normally never logs in, but did anyway to see what would
happen. As expected, whenever "info" uses imap or pine to open his
INBOX, new messages get magically moved from the /var/spool/mail/info to
/home/info/INBOX.  (See bullet point 3 at
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#4.5>.)

But, if Sam uses imap to subscribe to the symbolic link and read
messages, this act does NOT result in magically moving new messages from
/var/spool/mail/info /home/info/INBOX.  (My ugly workaround for the time
being is a cron job that does the moving with mailutil.)

Is it a bad practice to access a mailbox via a symbolic link?  Shouldn't
c-client move messages from the spool when a symbolic link is accessed
that points to a user's mbx INBOX?

If I am going about this the wrong way, I would be grateful for good advice.

regards,
Mark