To anyone who is looking for answer to this I discovered the answer.
Here are my quick notes on it so far.

INTERNATIONALIZATION

- at top of controller: uses('L10n');
- create /app/locale/eng/LC_MESSAGES/default.po (French is fre/fra)
    http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php
- create entries in default.po as such:

    msgid  "close_window"
    msgstr "Close"

    msgid  "where_pin"
    msgstr "Where is my PIN?"

- call translations in view: <?__("close_window")?> ) ("close_window"
is msgid from default.po)
    this is going to echo out the msgstr for the given msgid, else it
wil display the msgid given
    use __("button_submit", true) to return the value as opposed to
echoing it

I hope this saves others the time it took me to track it down.