On Jan 22, 2008 5:07 PM, longint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmm, I don't disagree with your explanation but did everyone who
> installed the latest cake get this?  This is a common message?  And if
> so I don't see it in the manual (though it's not complete).

If it is a clean install, I believe that they will get this message.
So yes it's a common message.  Why is it not in the manual...  Here is
my guess, in order to write the manual you have probably been using
cake for so long that stuff like that just seems obvious.  There is a
lot about cake that after a while when you see a question one's first
reaction, "Oh my goodness how could you not know this..."  Which is
unfair (I am as guilty of this as anyone), since you are new and don't
have the conventions and expectations around how CakePHP reports stuff
to you and how it tries to help...

> I guess what I'm trying to get at is that (assuming) this is not the
> expected result of an initial cake launch, why would it bark at me?

Because it is trying to help you, it's just software and it really has
no manners...  :)  What should you do, here is my suggestion.  Go to
http://trac.cakephp.org/ join and open a ticket on the documentation
about this.  Now that you understand what cake is saying to you,
suggest changes to the documentation, because we may not know that it
is a problem.  Even a suggestion for the error message to make it
clearer for you as a newbie.  Remember that the developers are so far
from the 'newbie experience' that they would probably appreciate
suggestions on how to make the message clearer.  But tickets in Trac
are the way to make it known that you would like some more clarity to
the manual or the error messages.

Make sure you check out the http://tempdocs.cakephp.org/  the people
writing it are trying to make it all clear and helpful, but if there
are things missing in many cases they just don't notice and will not
notice unless you help them see the problem.

Hope that helps and thanks for helping make it all better

Sam D

--
(the old fart) the advice is free, the lack of crankiness will cost you

- its a fine line between a real question and an idiot

http://blog.samdevore.com/archives/2007/03/05/when-open-source-bugs-me/