The broken connections between blocks are causing your problem. Often that
happens when the ports on a block change between versions. You will likely
have to figure out how to connect them back up (perhaps by looking at how
they're connected before you run the casper_update_blocks script. Not sure
exactly why they're breaking in your case, but I'd suggest trying to follow
exactly what Jack did (i.e. using exactly the same model etc.)

Glenn