Hi, Andrew,

It's been a while since I've looked at the CASPER FFT implementation, but my
understanding is that the "real" N-channel FFT actually packs two real FFTs
into one 2N-channel complex FFT.  Corresponding positive and negative bins of
the complex FFT's output are added/subtracted to get the N channels for each of
the two inputs.  The "Nyquist channel" (channel +N or -N of the 2N complex FFT)
has no corresponding channel and i think gets ignored in the current CASPER
"real" FFT implementation (but not the complex FFT implementation).

The Nyquist channel is a bit of an oddity.  The Fourier coefficients for that
channel are all real (+1, -1, +1, -1...) so for a purely real (or imaginary)
input the Nyquist channel will also be real (or imaginary).  That means that
the Nyquist channel of the two real inputs could easily (in theory) be
separated.  The idea Jonathan asks about (including the Nyquist channel's data
in the imaginary component of the DC channel) is interesting, but due to
aliasing the utility of that channel is somewhat diminished so I'm not sure how
useful it would be.

Dave