Transferring this over to dev.

I think it's unacceptable to have to restart the entire cluster under
any circumstances aside from code upgrades, even if the operation in
question is "rare". Note that in column-oriented use, adding or
removing a CF is not rare at all.

Let's not turn a bug into a feature, here. More usability is never bad.

Evan

--
Evan Weaver