It's a conflict with prototype, they both use "$" for helper
methods.

Make sure to use the non conflict with something that will definitely
not be overridden, like

var $JQ = jQuery.noConflict();

"var j" can easily be re-assigned in the global namespace by any other
library or yourself if you aren't careful.