On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:

[Lots of good stuff about scaffolding]

Too Much Magic is my problem with the current crop of scaffolding
"helpers".

I nearly threw Catalyst out of the window whilst fighting with one of the
earlier tools (I forget which, call it traumatic amnesia :) as I just
couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do. Not understanding enough
about what was going on under the hood meant that it was virtually
impossible to figure out what was going on.

In the end I went back to first principles and did things by hand. I think
of it as a bit like learning to drive, you need to understand the basic
principles before you can take shortcuts. This is the opposite of having
training wheels on your bike of course, when you start simple and get more
complicated. The problem with the latter approach is that you need to have
a progression from simple to complicated and the scaffolding helpers just
didn't give me that, it was all or nothing.

I have no idea if InstantCRUD is now better in this respect, I've been to
afraid to try again :-)

I may have another look at this in a while when we upgrade the site.

Simon.