I would suggest that you create a new test shipyard and import only
PerlMagick. I'm curious what would come up during the build there. you may
find that you need to fiddle with this module's shipwright build "scripts".

fyi - I was able to pass in additional flags to my builds; example:

> export MAKEMAKER_CONFIGURE_EXTRA=--nolive

(... this was to prevent Mechanize tests from pinging wikipedia.org)

so there is flexibility in there - just not enough documentation and
examples. good luck!

-n