This morning, while birding the Hawthorn Orchard, I came upon a silently
foraging adult male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER. This bird was located in the
Southwest portion of the Hawthorn Orchard, about 100 yards to the East of the
single shagbark hickory tree in the SW area. After messaging the Cayuga RBA
GroupMe, Jay McGowan relocated the bird in the same general area as before.
While Jay was there, it was joined by a singing Blue-winged Warbler. Soon
after, the Golden-winged Warbler also sang. Jay got pictures and some audio
documentation of this bird. Later, I ran into Ann Mitchell, Gary Kohlenberg,
and Ken Kemphues, who all came from successfully seeing and hearing the
Golden-winged Warbler, all in the same spot.

Just a heads-up that the hawthorns and other plants are leaving out nicely and
the birds are harvesting Tortricid moth larvae from the hawthorn leaf clusters.
This could turn out to be a banner year at the Hawthorn Orchard. The plants and
insects are about a good 10+ days ahead of schedule at this spot.

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--