Four white-crowned sparrows are dining at our feeders this morning.  It appears
to be two males and two females, going purely on brightness and a bit of
behavior (mild aggression between two brightest).

Also a female purple finch, song sparrows, chipping sparrow(s), downy and hairy
woodpeckers, mourning doves (displacing white-crowns by waddling at them),
bluejays and a pair of redwinged blackbirds.
 The female redwing is apparently seriously considering nesting in the iris
that are tall and abundant in our swimmingpool-converted-to-pond.  This morning
the male apparent agrees on her choice and was displaying to her amidst the
iris leaves. She looks young—little color to her face, quite stripy but dull.
Protection from chipmunk predation will be the problem.

Anne
Anne B Clark
147 Hile School Rd
Freeville, NY 13068