CAYUGA BIRD CLUB FIELD TRIP REPORT:

Eight eager birders joined me searching for migrants through the Hawthorn
Orchard today (Sunday, May 14).  Improving weather made for active birds and
comfortable participants.  Overall, warblers were scarce but we saw or heard a
good number of species including both year-round residents and migratory
songbirds (ebird list below).  Early arrivers saw chimney swifts and barn
swallows over the fields and heard an eastern meadowlark.  Entering the woods
at the Northeast corner we found NASHVILLE  and WILSON’S WARBLER singing.  All
participants got good looks at the Wilson’s, but the Nashville was only seen by
a few.  Along the trail above the ravine we heard multiple LEAST FLYCATCHERS
(or one that followed us), but they remained hidden from view.  The resident
WOOD THRUSHES did not grace us with their melodies, but one announced its
presence through calls.   A dead tree adjacent to the trail housed a pair of
nesting red-bellied woodpeckers and below them in the ravine were a singing
AMERICAN REDSTART and a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER. The northwest corner as we
approached the East Ithaca Recreation way gave us a female ROSE-BREASTED
GROSBEAK, EASTERN PHOEBES and GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS.  Although we seem to
have missed the big push of migrants, all participants had a pleasant morning
and most plan to visit the orchard again this week.

Ken Kemphues

Hawthorn Orchard and East Ithaca Rec. Way, Tompkins, New York, US
May 14, 2017 7:37 AM - 10:12 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)
Comments:     Cayuga Bird Club field trip led by Ken Kemphues.
38 species

Canada Goose  2
Mallard  3
Turkey Vulture  2
Mourning Dove  4
Chimney Swift  2     Flying overhead before participants arrived.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1