Yesterday at Monkey Run I saw a merganser with babies on her back. She sure
looked like a red-throated, but aren't they migrants? Perhaps she was too
low in the water to see the white, but she also had quite a crest.
Unfortunately I startled her, and she seemed to not be able to swim away
fast enough with her baby burden, so she dumped them, took off at a brisk
clip, tsk, tsk, tsking for her brood to follow. They would all catch up,
climb back on, and then she dumped them again to swim farther. This went on
several times until it seemed she felt they'd escaped danger.

I also saw a scarlet tanager, and heard a white-throated sparrow on the
upland part of the trail (south side of Fall Creek). Near the water saw an
American redstart, a Blackburnian warbler, rose-breasted grosbeak, Canada
geese. And distant hawk, blue jay, and goldfinches. I'm sure there was tons
more there, but I'm a beginner, and had to get back to work.

Sheila

--
Sheila Ann Dean
Natural Selection Editing and Research