A male yellow-billed cuckoo flew into the young trees near our veggie
garden yesterday. We watched for two solid minutes, just 15 feet away,
close enough to see it catch and eat two hairy caterpillars and then puff
out its throat while singing. When it flew to the other side of the garden,
we spotted the female, and then watched spellbound when the male flew over
to her perch and mated. No sign of them yet today.

Given that yellow-billed cuckoos are shy, was the male seemingly
disinterested in us being so close because he was concentrated on mating?
And is it likely they'll stay here and breed or take off again?

We had one cuckoo several years ago that stayed for only ten seconds!

Happy in Lodi (Parmenter Road), Laurie