A friend who is biking through the Cascade Mountains sent this query: We saw
the strangest thing - a quite large bird was swimming in the water with it's
large wings, doing a stroke that looked much like the butterfly - both wings
flapping up out of the water in sync with each other. We asked the ranger what
was going on. He was puzzled.  Doug wondered if it might not have been an
eagle, either injured or perhaps caught on something, or maybe w/ fish that was
tangled in something. Other ideas, my bird loving friends? Sorry we didn't get
a pic - we watched quite a while but were slow with the camera.  But that pic
of the river is where it was, just imagine a large flapping bird in there -
dark grey, with white head, and very large wing span. Colleen Richards