On Friday I took the Macaulay Library sound recording workshop crew to a
few lake sites in the rain. Recording was mostly slow, but we found a few
cool birds, including two rare-in-summer FORSTER'S TERNS with a group of
COMMON TERNS at Myers Point (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37619488)
and a WESTERN WILLET sleeping on the white lighthouse jetty off Stewart
Park (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37624263). Others saw the
Willet later in the morning but it was gone by the evening. I thought it
was a nice testament to the growing prowess of our group that, despite the
distance and the fact that the bird only gave a SINGLE call, at least three
people were able to make an audio recording of it!

Montezuma on Saturday returned mostly expected species, although the
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER continues on Carncross Road (and Livia and I had a
second Acadian there giving call notes the Friday before, perhaps now a
pair). No sign of the Little Blue Heron, although it was quite shimmery by
the time we gave it a good scan. The PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS on Armitage Road
were hard to get good looks at, but a few participants saw the female
entering a nest box on the south side of the road.

Finally, following up on a lead from Michael Huffaker from last weekend,
this afternoon Livia and I were able to refind a LEAST BITTERN in the
cattails at the south end of Dryden Lake by kayak:

Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
jw...@cornell.edu