Coping with a bout of literal Empty Nest Syndrome, I joined Ann Mitchell for a
birding trip to Montezuma NWR this morning.

Our first stop was the Myers/Salt Point/Ladoga Park area where we saw 1 each
Spotted, Least, and Semipalmated Sandpiper on the Myers spit, at least 2 Green
Herons, a possible family group of 4 Belted Kingfishers, and 3 large nestling
Ospreys at Salt Point, and the male Redhead off Ladoga, but we failed to find
any orioles nor the recent male White-winged Scoter.

At Montezuma NWR we took advantage of the new temporary policy regarding the
Wildlife Drive. For the first time in many years, this year bicycling and
walking are permitted, but only from 12 July to 15 August. The reasoning as I
understand it is that nesting is generally over by mid-July but the influx of
migrant waterfowl doesn't begin until mid-August, and refuge manager(s) at
Montezuma fear that people walking or bicycling on the Wildlife Drive would
disturb those birds' activities, even though walking and bicycling are allowed
on similar drives at other National Wildlife Refuges year-round. Southbound
shorebird migration, however, is underway starting in early July, and they are
generally not bothered by people, so refuge managers are not concerned about
them. Shorebirds' tolerance may have to do with people in this part of the
world not shooting at them much anymore, in contrast to waterfowl, or managers'
abundance of caution regarding the migrant waterfowl may be an over-reaction.
In my experience around Cayuga Lake, as pedestrians, bike riders, or people
outside of their motor vehicles, we can get good views of various migrant
waterfowl calmly going about their business when & where there is not active
shooting.

Anyway, this policy is a great start, in my opinion, and Ann & I enjoyed
walking out along the left side, which is now covered in finer gravel, a.k.a.
stone dust, and is more pleasant to walk and bike upon. I wish the whole
Wildlife Drive used that surface, because it is far quieter! We went as far as
the Seneca Flats area where we saw many Ring-billed Gulls, 9 Caspian Terns, a
Great Egret, 2 Green Herons, a Killdeer, a Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Lesser
Yellowlegs, 3 Pectoral Sandpipers, and several Semipalmated and Least
Sandpipers in addition to the local Canada Goose families and eclipse Mallards.
Plus in the air there were many swallows (mainly Tree), a couple of immature
Bald Eagles, a non-breeding plumage Black Tern, and several distant Ospreys. In
the marsh along our way we also saw families of Common Gallinules (and even
watched an adult vocalizing), saw and heard Willow Flycatchers and Swamp
Sparrows, and heard one calling Virginia Rail and numerous persistently
invisible singing Marsh Wrens and.

When we were alongside Larue's Lagoon a car pulled up alongside us on the
drive. It was driven by Dave Kennedy, whom everyone on this list serve should
know as the finder and photographer of many wonderful birds in the north basin,
such as Gyrfalcons, a backyard Rufous Hummingbird, etc. It's worth looking at
any eBird checklists which he posts, just to enjoy his photos. I find them in
my eBird Seneca County year needs and rare bird reports. Dave was talking to us
about the new pedestrian policy on the Wildlife Drive. Ann told him how nice it
was to be able to hear so much more outside of a vehicle. I generally hear at
least twice as many birds when I'm outside a vehicle, because the engine makes
noise, the wheels make noise (especially on the Wildlife Drive's gravel!), and
the cabin generally blocks a great deal of bird sound, even with the windows
open. I started to tell him about how wonderful it was to see the entire sky,
and Dave jokingly gave me a hard time for my arm gesture because it might scare
birds. Then he told us about a LEAST BITTERN which he noticed moving in the
cattails behind us on the opposite side of the channel. Even though we had been
looking for this species, and thought we knew what to look for, Dave had to get
out of his car and point it out to us. He took a few pictures and went on his
way. Meanwhile, the bird stayed in view for many minutes while we enjoyed it.
We photographed it in various positions as it perched atop a cattail fruit
(what do you call that cylindrical brown thing?). We told occupants of another
passing car about it, and they got out, saw it through our scopes (a life bird
for at least one of them), and took their own photos including some in flight
when the bird finally a short distance moved off to another part of the marsh.
This was a wonderful experience, one of my best sightings of the species, and a
year bird as well, and it was made possible by the new policy allowing people
out of their cars on the Wildlife Drive. Later on I had a second glimpse of a
Least Bittern briefly flying just above the cattail tops. I'm pretty sure I
would not have been able to see it from the lower vantage of my car's seat
because Ann, being shorter than I, missed that one.

Eaton Marsh had a couple Greater Yellowlegs and a dozen or so Lesser
Yellowlegs, but no Ruff that we saw. It did have a single breeding plumage
DOWITCHER which Ann confidently called LONG-BILLED. I agreed it had a prominent
and ruffled hump on its back as it fed, but I didn't have a very good look at
it otherwise from the right side of the car, nor am I as confident speciating
dowitchers without a good long study. There was also a female REDHEAD at Eaton
among the Mallards. Perhaps it bred at Montezuma.

There were 13 Great Egrets at Benning.

Another goal of our trip was to check on the Red-headed Woodpeckers which have
again been nesting along South Mays Point Road. We had both seen them at their
nest cavity earlier this year, thanks to Mike Tetlow, I believe, for
discovering it in the dead top of a spreading multi-branched Cottonwood
northeast of the community on the island between the Clyde River and the Erie
Canal, and best viewed from S Mays Pt Rd just south of house #555. We got out
our scopes and quickly located the nest hole. At least I thought we both did.
Then Ann said she couldn't find it for awhile. It turns out that adult
Red-headed Woodpeckers are very well named, but their young are not. On the
other hand, it seems like a brilliant bit of adaptation that juveniles, who
like to look out of the nest hole while they await the return of adults with
food, are entirely covered on the head and neck with a fine streaking of
brownish gray. It's very similar to the color of Cottonwood bark and it
visually plugs the hole. See Ann's eBird report with photo referenced below.
There appeared to us to be just one full-sized juvenile moving its head out and
back into the cavity.

>From East Road we saw several adults and one immature of the Black-crowned
>Night-Herons which Sandy Podulka mentioned near the north end of
>Knox-Marsellus, along with a Green Heron, several Great Egrets and Great Blue
>Herons, and an adult of what appeared to be a Trumpeter Swan although heat
>shimmer made details of its bill a bit uncertain.

We checked Kipp Island Fields South looking west from NYS-90 along the south
side of I-90 (the Thruway). We saw no Ruff, but did see a few Yellowlegss and
Semipalmated Sandpipers, and we wondered how much shorebird habitat was out of
view in that region east of Eaton where Tim Lenz et al saw the Ruff head
yesterday evening. There were also a couple of distant immature swans at Kipp,
and their bills (in crappy heat shimmery light) appeared quite pink to me, so I
wondered if they might be TUNDRAs? Anybody else have a good look and idea about
them?

--Dave Nutter

Sent from my iPad
Begin forwarded message: