We have successfully used non-auxotrophic strains for incorporation of SeMet
and SeCys, with an incorporation level of >80% and no effects on yield or
solubility. Details can be found here:

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0907444910042022

It's a straight-forward protocol and structure solution was trivial, even
without 100% incorporation. With your number of Met and Cys, it should give you
enough signal, as long as expression is not affected by minimal media. You can
do a small test just to ensure protein expression is OK before doing large
scale purification.

Using derivatives is another option but it might be time consuming and
extensive to search for appropriate heavy atoms, so this might be good
alternative.

Good luck!

Paula

===================================

Dr Paula S. Salgado
Lecturer in Macromolecular Crystallography
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences
Faculty of Medical Sciences
3rd Floor Cookson Building
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK