Dear Joe,

     Thank you for the insights :-) . Near-exclusive exposure to
synchrotron beamlines leads one to forget about 2theta axes, as they
are hardly ever encountered; but indeed it is a help here. Most of
all, I would assume that your default strategies would use several
*crystal* orientations thanks to your quarter-Chi goniostat. That
would of course help fill the gap since it amounts to tilting it, but
even so, it still feels as if more low-resolution reflections would be
lost because of their proximity to the rotation axis than if the gap
was mounted vertically. Is that actually not the case?

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.