Dear Gerard and Ian,

thank you for your work in putting together the Staraniso sever and your effort to tackle the anisotropic diffraction problem, a non-trivial behavior that creates many problems in structure solving, and that is very prevalent in the world of membrane proteins...

I have been following your threads very closely over the past months; I am now in the possession of another one of these anisotropic datasets and just submitted a job on your server, and I would like to ask you some general questions for which I couldn't find answers on your website (I'm emailing the ccp4bb as it might be of interest to other readers as well).

* It seems like the (local) I/s(I) is your criteria of choice to decide how far is the data diffracting. And you offer us a range of values from 1 to 3 with small steps, and a default value of 1.20. Could you shed more light on this choice, how important it is, and what attention should be devoted to it?

My understanding from this is that with the new detectors, a photon measured is a real photon, so users can go to very low values of I/s(I) to get the most data out the detectors. For isotropic diffraction, I would cut my data at several of these values and consider the maps to see if I have any gain on their quality. However, with my anisotropic data, with the default cut off of 1.20, I get in the following table that brings me more questions:

Summary of merging statistics for observed data extracted from the final MRFANA log file: Overall InnerShell OuterShell
     Low resolution limit                      48.618 48.618       4.200
     High resolution limit                      3.811 12.254       3.811

     Rmerge  (all I+ & I-)                      0.182 0.046       7.878
     Rmerge  (within I+/I-)                     0.186 0.043       7.643
     Rmeas   (within I+/I-)                     0.223 0.053       9.089
     Rmeas   (all I+ & I-)                      0.200 0.052       8.537
     Rpim    (within I+/I-)                     0.122 0.031       4.870
     Rpim    (all I+ & I-)                      0.080 0.024       3.262
     Total number of observations              148030 5479        8188
     Total number unique                        23914 1192        1196
     Mean(I)/sd(I)                                7.3 21.2         1.3
     Completeness (spherical)                    60.4 96.9        12.0
     Completeness (ellipsoidal)                  92.5 96.9        67.0
     Multiplicity                                 6.2 4.6         6.8
     CC(1/2)                                    0.996 0.996       0.061

* In the past, before your server existed, I have cut my anisotropic data keeping a 20% completeness in the highest resolution shell, it seemed to me the correct cutoff to ensure map quality, albeit I must say it was more a "wet-finger" guess than a real study. This completeness was of course spherical. Given the I/s(I) criteria stated above, is the completeness a secondary criteria or should it be taken into account to refine which I/s(I) to choose for scaling performed in Staraniso? What completeness should be kept minimal?

* A side question arises from this table, I then have a CC(1/2) of 0.061 in the highest resolution shell. Should it be worrisome or is CC(1/2) not a good criteria in this case? Same question as above, what CC(1/2) should be kept minimal?

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback.
All the Best
Vincent

--

Vincent Chaptal, PhD

Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Protéines

Drug Resistance and Membrane Proteins Laboratory

7 passage du Vercors

69007 LYON

FRANCE

+33 4 37 65 29 01