On 2002.11.06, Joerg Schilling wrote:
:
: >From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:
: >> : But DVD-* media is cheaper and I see no advantage in using DVD+ media.
: >>
: >> Other advantages are the ability to completely fill the disks (> 4 GB
: >> iso files are a problem on 32 bit systems) and not needing free space
: >> for the disk images.
:
: >"When you don't know what you are talking about. Shut up". :-)
:
: See above ;-)......
:
: >I burn DVD-Rs for more than a year now and from day one on i had never
: >problems with file-sizes (*1) (*2)
:

I'm sorry.  I forgot that DVD +/- geeks were having a religious war. ;-)

Yes, you .de guys are right. Your Mileage Varies greatly from mine.

However, perhaps you should look at it from my point of view. Often
"Confused and Ignorant", I go on trying to do my real job using computers
my institution provides and supports. Stability is a big issue in my work,
so we often run SEVERAL YEARS behind current releases on our computers. We
do this on purpose, because they need to collect and process data 24/7,
often for years at a time. I have limited options and little patience
for chasing development/alpha software.  Yes, DVD- works great for you
after you patched, updated, split, etc... and then, what... diddled
Joerg for a cdrecord key? Perhaps I don't have that option.

Almost 2 years ago, I wanted to be able to start writing DVD's under Linux.
I wanted to purchase a DVD-R drive and sent a query off to this
list, asking for advice; "what drives work? what software, etc".
Little helpful advice was forthcoming, and the software discussion became a
nightmare, with Joerg and others battling [can you say time bombs] over
DVD writing capabilities.  I even got to the point where I exchanged
e-mails with Joerg and tried to send him real money, but his failure to
provide me with any kind of professional looking invoice, advertisement,
contract, bill of goods, etc made this impossible to justify with my
administrators.  Sorry, Joerg, a terse e-mail demanding $100 US. doesn't
fly with my institution.

So, I went back to my work and waited for things to settle out. Many
months ago, I saw I could get DVD+R drives for less than $400 and
there were reports they  actually worked on older Linux kernels, using
standard tools.  We'll almost... One needs some simple software from a
friendly chap (Thanks Andy!) who freely posts the software along with
tons of practical knowledge and advice.  Guess what, a drive is ordered,
installed, and tested within a week. 5 more ordered later that week.
I'm happy, others are happy and I go on with my real work. When I need
to archive or send data sets, I simply NFS mount and go.

While some people may choose to ignore non-technical issues when choosing
DVD+R vs DVD-R, I take all issues into account. Sometimes, in fact, many
times, the non-technical advantages outweigh technical ones. Sorry
guys, I still see a few big advantages for DVD+R over DVD-R.

--
Frank Hage  [EMAIL PROTECTED]