What would that be called "excapulation" vs "encapsulation". Actually you
could still write the internals to deal with that... it would just require a
little more features. But essentially you are wrong Pat. It is no more
dependent to address a variable than a function. You would just have to make
your use of the variables.attributes inside the CFC an abstract connection.
I don't think you get the point, just like "getAttribute1()" gives you
attribute one, so does myobject.attribute1. It's a question of style... and
there is a trend of carrying this concept to an extreme. This principle of
abstraction is a virtue, not an absolute. Any virtue that neglects it's
relationship to other virtues becomes a handicap.

I have heard "several" of the gurus refer to these things as tradeoffs. They
are not tradeoffs... they are "implementations" of programming virtues. Now
I am not asking you to adhere to my methods, but they are useful! All you
have to do is change the mechanism inside the CFC that sets the object
attributes, and the "internals" are free. Again, if you can't have object
attributes because it controls the internals, you couldn't have object
methods to return them either. If you are worried about the internals...
just change the mechanism that sets the external attributes.

:) Find a solution... not just a problem. It will make you a better
developer! (And forgive sensitivity on this one... just been shot up a bit
on this list over religious devotion to some high priests guides to unproven
principles. The principles are indeed virtues... but knowing when they don't
apply is a missing discussion. It's like everyone is "afraid" to say... this
is a bad time to prefer encapsulation, so they don't look at anything that
might not adhere to that holy grail virtue.)

John