Had a great BOF session at YAPC::NA 2005. We thought we'd keep notes, to both help remind us of our decisions as well as let everyone who wasn't able to make it, know what was talked about. What amazed me was that we had like 10 people sign up on the wiki, but gathered a group of 20 and several more people mentioned that they wished they knew about it ahead of time, so they could join us, too. Also, in between the talks of Perrin Harkins, Michael Peters & Michael Graham, we should see an increase in interest.

One of the primary focuses was on marketing, which seems kind of silly, but a lot of "press" has been given to other frameworks, such as Catalyst and Ruby on Rails, that we need to make sure that CGI::Application isn't ignored. As such, we talked about possibly producing demo apps and developing an article to submit to Perl.com.

The next focus we talked about was CGI::Session. The group expressed an interest in reworking that module to work better with cgiapp. We thought the best approach was to adopt the module as a group through Phalanx and gather up patches and submit them to the maintainer. If you're interested in helping out, Jason Crome is heading that up and you can gain access to his Subversion repository by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We also talked about the CGI::Application::Framework project. This is one of the first projects where we bundle a good set of plugins to give developers more help in setting up their project.

Then we talked CGI::Application's roadmap for the future and what would help bring more people to the framework:

- Ease-of-installation for produced applications, possibly in the form of PAR. - BREAD/CRUD Plugin, where people can easily put together a db management application. - Generator - something that would help kickstart the application. We do have CGI::Application::Generator, but it could do with an update, especially with creating test scripts at the same time. - Authentication Plugin, where developers can tie authentication modules and directives to particular runmodes.

We also talked about the current version and testing approaches (this, after what seemed to be YAPC's day of talks on testing).

- Jason