Hi

I am planning to change CGI::Snapp's base class from Hash::FieldHash to
Moos (sic).

I understand this will cause some disruption to users of CGI::Snapp (if
any :-), but there will be a number of benefits. And it's these benefits
which has convinced me to propose this.

The new CGI::Snapp would jump to V 2.00, to indicate a significant
internal change. It's currently V 1.03.

Benefits:

o Moos is extremely light-weight (as is Hash::FieldHash).

o Moos (naturally) supports inheritance, with 'extends'.

o Moos supports consumption of roles, with 'with', if you have
Role::Tiny installed. It's name says it all.

This means, e.g., the internal logger would become CGI::Snapp::Logger, a
role.

o The Moos syntax is, of course, Moose-like.

o Using Moos means if you use a MVC code structure, and were previously
having difficulty deciding if you should use Hash::FieldHash or Moose
(sic), or similar in your controllers, etc, you could now use Moos there
too.

This particularly appeals to me, since I've been using Moose in all
three, M, V, and C, and the mismatch with Hash::FieldHash has always
bugged me.

Unifying them has other benefits, since I have some modules which will
dove-tail nicely by switching to Moos as well:

o Local::Config. This loads a config file per project. It wraps
File::HomeDir to load a file using the project's name.

o Local::Connector. This uses Local::Config's per project file to wrap
DBIx::Connector to create a project-specific dbh.

This can then be passed to any code in the project, minimizing the # of
dbhs used (if that appeals to you).

o Local::Logger, which uses the project-specific dbh from
Local::Connector, since my projects all log to a db.

The point of these is to be able to drop and create db tables without
needing DBIx:Class. Then, constant tables can be populated and exported
to HTML and CSV, still without DBIx::Class.

Finally, when the tables exist, I can use DBIx::Class itself to generate
the source code of the Schema::* modules for use by other classes, e.g.
the M and V in MVC.

As I type this email, the idea is growing on me more and more.

So, if you have any comments, now is the time to speak up.

--
Ron Savage
http://savage.net.au/