On Fri, 3 May 2002, Brett Sanger wrote:

> Here's my current plan: Survey creation script/module will step you
> through the creation of a survey.  Just getting questions is easy, but I
> need to allow for some layout directions, form validation, and branching
> control (If you answered "Yes", go to question 6).  The end result of
> this, which steps through several pages, is an XML file that describes the
> survey.  This would have to be able to save a survey and later modify it.
>
> Survey taking script/module reads the XML file and displays the given
> survey, collecting data through several pages.  Many people will doubtless
> fail to complete the entire survey, and I want that data, so I'llhave to
> have some method of savign session data to file.  I won't, however, be
> allowing people to come back with a new session to complete their old
> session.
>
> Survey report script/module takes the answers for a given survey for a
> given date range and returns an Excel spreadsheet.  I'll probably put some
> really fundamental analysis there, but make the end user do anything
> sophisticated on their end.

My bias would be to stick it all in a database, both the surveys and the
resulting answers. Among other things, This should handle the case of a
multi-page survey that gets abandoned well-- At each screen you could
write the data to the database. When you are reporting you could simply
choose to report on surveys that were completed or not. No special
handling needed.

One general tool I'd like see written and would be appropriate to
develop for this project is a web-based interface to develop
Data::FormValidator profiles. This could be generic and not tied to any
project.

Regarding Spreadsheet::WriteExcel, I've used it myself before and found
it easy to use and work with. However, I think there is another module
which may be more useful in this case (and I'm forgetting the name now),
but it can quickly look at a database table and dump it own in Excel.

  -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/