Suthakar P Maharajan wrote:

> Is there anyway to find a number of days difference based on timestamp?
> i have a file which has 'n' number of records with timestamp as
> [2002-04-6] and i want to compare each record timstamp with today time
> and if it is 30 days difference then delete those entries.
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Suthakar

I am actually doing something very similar to this myself, which I just
finished.  I used the perl module Date-Calc5.0 on cpan.org that I found.
There are a few functions that work great for this that are in there,
use Date::Calc qw( Date_to_Days);
use Date::Calc qw (Decode_Month); ( my month ws in 3 char format, JUL, JUN
etc etc)
First I took the local time and minus the seconds in a week, how long I
only wanted to keep things..
my $cutoff_time = localtime(time-604800);  in your case it would
be...2592000 seconds i believe...
($junk,$mon1,$day1,$time,$year1) = split(/\s+/,$cutoff_time);
$mon_num1 = Decode_Month($mon1);

then get the second date stuff for the second part of the if statement, in
your case, the record you are using..
if(Date_to_Days($year1,$mon_num1,$day1) >
Date_to_Days($year2,$mon_num2,$day2))
{
        #delete here, since the record date is less than the month cutoff
time specified above
}

I am sure there is an easier way to do this, but this is how I accomplished
it :)
Chris