Hi Eric --

> I have been talking with the other tech guy where I work about
> CGI::Application. It looks like we are going to be using it along with
> HTML::Template.
> I am having a problem understanding how HTML::Template is used with
> CGI::Application though. Looking at the example mailform.pm
> I see,

CGI::Application::Mailform does not actually use HTML::Template.  However,
it is a good example of the basics of how to write a CGI::Application-based
module.  The CGI::Application POD is also good for that.  Finally, there is
an article on Perl.com I wrote about a year ago which should help you get a
handle on it:

  http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/06/05/cgi.html

> But I am suppose to execute $template->output to print html from HTML
> template.

That is exactly right.  A typical run-mode with HTML::Template looks like
this:

        sub some_run_mode {
                my $self = shift;

                my $t = $self->load_tmpl('just_a_basic.tmpl');

                # ...populate the HTML::Template object here
                $t->param('some_var', '123abc');
                $t->param('some_loop', [{thing=>1}, {thing=>2}, {thing=>3}]);

                return $t->output();
        }

> So I am confused and don't really know where to begin.
> I get the pieces but not how to put them together. The short term
> goal, is
> to make a new run mode that will show a filled in version of the
> html form
> for double checking before being sent, but to also use tmpl for the html.

That should be pretty straight-forward.  You can get access to the CGI.pm
query object through the query() method, and use HTML::Template's param()
method to set variables in the output page.

Hope that helps!

TTYL,

-Jesse-