Hello,

Applications are now open for two great study abroad opportunities coming up
this summer:

*        2016 Summer A-Term:  iSchool French Polynesia| Wayfinding and
Different Ways of Knowing
*        2016 Early Fall Exploration Seminar: iSchool Ghana| Experience
Research: Communication Technologies and Development in Southern Ghana.

Please see below for information on each program and links to the application
sites for more details and don't hesitate to contact me
(araba...@uw.edu<mailto:araba...@uw.edu>) if you have any questions.

Thanks!
araba

1.     iSchool French Polynesia| Wayfinding and Different Ways of Knowing
French Polynesia, and the island of Tahiti in particular, is an ideal site for
exploring issues of "wayfinding" through the lens of place and identity and a
rich culture of oral traditions. Drawing on traditional knowledge systems and
la culture ma'ohi, which refers to an indigenous perspective on identity and
connection to land, we will engage students in an exploration that traces both
the historical, geographic, and mythical frameworks that shape our
understanding of the key role the region has played in the Diaspora of
Polynesian people across the Pacific. The course content is interdisciplinary
in nature and draws on scholarship from information science, geography,
history, and anthropology to help students understand the cultural, social, and
economic realities of this island society. This program is open to
undergraduate students.

The program will be 4 weeks long and takes place from June 20 to July 18, 2016.
Students will receive 6 credits (INFO 498 - 5 credits and one GEN ST 391 - 1
credit).

Application deadline is January 29.

Information sessions: There are no information sessions for this program, but
feel free to contact me with your questions.

To apply or get additional information, follow this link:
https://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=11117

2.     iSchool Ghana| Experience Research: Communication Technologies and
Development in Southern Ghana
If you've ever wondered whether information and communication technologies
(ICTs) are really changing lives in African countries, this is an opportunity
to find out for yourself. Learn how to design and carry out a research project
to answer questions you have about the role of ICTs in socio-economic
development, while also experiencing the realities of life in Ghana. You do not
need to have research experience, and we welcome both graduate and
undergraduate students.

The program will be 4 weeks long and takes place from August 26 - September 25,
2016. Credits will be counted towards your Fall 2016 load. Students will
receive 5 credits (INFX 598 or INFO 498). The course satisfies the research
methods requirement for Informatics students (INFO 470) and qualifies as an
elective for the International Development Certificate Program (IDCP). We are
happy to work with you and your adviser if the program could satisfy
requirements for other courses in your major.
Application Deadline is February 29.

Information sessions coming soon... Look out for a message in the next few days
announcing the dates for our information sessions.

To apply or get additional information, follow this link:
http://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10922&Type=O&sType=O

Araba Sey
Research Assistant Professor
UW Information School