This weeks DUB talk might be relevant to members of the Change community.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Epstein <depst...@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Subject: [dub] 4/20 DUB Seminar: Joyojeet Pal (Michigan)
To: dub <d...@dub.washington.edu>

This week's DUB talk is from Joyojeet Pal!

*Joyojeet Pal (Michigan)*
April 20th, 2016
12pm - 1:20pm
HUB 332

*Accessibility infrastructure and the transition to touchscreens: Evidence
from Bangalore, India*

*Abstract*
Recent increases in access to smartphones has dramatically altered the
accessibility landscape for people with visual impairments in parts of the
Global South, where accessible technologies have historically been scarce.
Examining ongoing transitions from button-based feature phones to devices
with touchscreen interfaces in Bangalore, India, we explore the concept of
an accessibility infrastructure that includes a broader set of factors that
enable or inhibit the functional use of accessible technologies. We argue
that the functional use of these technologies is difficult, if not
impossible to extract from the larger social context in which they operate.
Through the lens of social infrastructure for technology adoption – such as
networks of users and technical support ecologies, we discuss ways in which
touchscreens have changed the public participation of people with
disabilities in important ways. On the flip side, we look at ways in which
the same infrastructures can be barriers to the devices being used to their
full potential.

*Bio*
Joyojeet Pal is an assistant professor at the School of Information at the
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His work focuses on social studies of
accessibility in low- and middle-income countries, specifically in-depth
qualitative examinations of access to technology and its impact on social
inclusion. Some of his recent work has examined the use of social media in
political action in India. He is the producer and researcher of the
award-winning documentary “For the Love of a Man.”
~Daniel Epstein