---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rita Muigai <ritam...@ke.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM
Subject: Summer Internship 2017 IBM Africa Research Lab- Kenya
To: Brian DeRenzi <bdere...@cs.uct.ac.za>

*A brief of the role (more details please tell them to check for the role
online, see below)-*

Are you looking for an adventure? Come work with us in Africa. Where else
can you work on evolving cognitive solutions for a smarter planet in
healthcare, financial inclusion, blockchain, government, water,
agriculture, and education, during the week and then go on Safari on the
weekend?

We’re looking for PhD level graduate students with strong programming
skills and experience in areas such as data mining, optimization, machine
learning, computer vision and deep analytics. Our research focuses on
furthering the state of art in these areas from a scientific point of view
as well as applying them to solve the real-world problems encountered by
IBM's customers and the larger ecosystem. The challenges faced by telcos,
schools, small farm investors, banks, utilities, governments, and donor
agencies motivate our work. Undoubtedly, these challenges are complex and
hard enough for the state of the art in industry tools, systems, and
platforms. Therefore, the projects you will work on will involve developing
new approaches, techniques, and tools to tackle the problem at hand by
working with world-class scientists. It is expected that work in these
areas will lead to high quality research. However, the ultimate goal is to
solve the real-world problems faced by the local context in Africa, and to
scale for replication around the world.

IBM’s Smarter Planet journey began more than four years ago and took on
added significance when the IBM Research – Africa Lab was announced in
Nairobi, Kenya. It is the 12th IBM Research lab and our first lab dedicated
to a whole continent. The lab is located on the campus of the Catholic
University in the Karen-Langata area in Nairobi. Our goal is to maintain
IBM's world-class research culture while evolving commercially viable
innovations that impact people’s lives.

Job application online that has more details:

a. Log into our portal- http://www-03.ibm.com/employment/
b. Go to Kenya
c. Look for the job ID *78128BR*
<https://krbx.brassring.com/WelcomePages.UserInterface/ReqsPanel.aspx?paneldisplayname=My+Open+Reqs&configid=271&panelid=18#>

Thanking you in advance for your help and if you have any questions do not
hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Rita Muigai
Recruitment Partner EastAfrica
+254 20 515 3000
ritam...@ke.ibm.com
1st Floor The Atrium Building, Chaka Road, Nairobi-Kenya.
Follow us on:
Twitter: IBM Middle East & Africa https://twitter.com/@IBMJobsMea
Twitter: IBM Africa https://twitter.com/IBMAfricaJobs
Facebook: IBM MEA Graduates https://www.facebook.com/IBMMEATalent/
<http://ibm.referrals.selectminds.com/>
*#experience the difference*

*"Hire Character, Train Skills" Peter Schutz*