I believe the speaker is taking an important step in what she did this week,
which should be world wide by now.  CO2 emitions alone will not do the work,
yes, it is a starting point, but we have many, many things which should and
must be met with action NOW. We can see a spark of that trait within the Madam
Speaker of The House.  Obviously, she is not all lip service.

  Regards,

  Theresa J. Steed

        Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:58:25 -0700 (PDT)    From:  "Speaker Pelosi" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>    To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Subject:  House Call - The Facts Are
Conclusive  #message { overflow:auto; visibility:hidden }             .
                  June 1, 2007           The Facts Are Conclusive

  "The facts are conclusive. The science is clear. And yet the President
continues to be in denial. Yes, he says now he believes that global warming is
happening and he accepts the science that it is.

"But if that were so, if he truly understood that, he could not have come up
with a proposal that is aspirational. He would have to come up with a
commitment that is real and give certainty to the business community to make
the investments that will take us to the place that we need to be, which is
with greatly reduced greenhouse gas emissions in the next 20 and then 50 years
with goals and milestones along the way."
- Speaker Pelosi, 6/1/07

Chairman Ed Markey, NASA glaciologist Dr. Jay Zwally, Dr. Konrad Steffen,
Speaker Pelosi, and Rep. Hobson at Swiss Camp on Jakobshavn glacier
  This week, Speaker Pelosi led a Congressional delegation to Greenland and
Europe, where the Members saw firsthand the devastating environmental and
economic impacts of global warming. The delegation met with foreign leaders who
are taking action to address global warming, one of the greatest challenges of
our time.

  During their visit to Greenland, they took a boat tour of Disko Bay and
learned about the speed with which the glacier there is melting. They also
traveled to Swiss Camp, meeting with renowned climate scientists, who are
studying the accelerating melting and movement of the Artic ice. Scientists are
working rapidly to analyze the dramatic changes to the Greenland ice cap - the
amount of ice breaking off in two days is enough fresh water for New York City
for one full year.

  In Germany, they met with Chancellor Angela Merkel, who has rallied European
Union countries to commit to an aggressive strategy to reduce their own
greenhouse gas emissions and lay the groundwork for a strong climate regime.

  In London, the delegation met with leaders of many political parties, who all
underscored the consensus in Great Britain that supports reversing global
warming. Great Britain continues its leadership with ground breaking
legislation expected to be adopted next year.

  And in Belgium, the delegation met with the European Commission President
Jose Manuel Barroso, and identified common ground and areas of agreement that
can be reached between the United States and European nations to reverse
climate change.

  Immediately upon the delegation's return to Washington, they were met with
profound disappointment when President Bush announced a climate change proposal
that rehashes old ideas. While the President has finally acknowledged the
severity of the global warming threat and agreed that we need a follow-up
agreement to the Kyoto Protocol that he has spent most of his Administration
studiously ignoring, his announcement does not address the severity of the
crisis that the rest of the world has long recognized.

  When the G-8 Summit meets in Germany next week, House Democrats hope it will
pave the way forward to a global solution to climate change, and that the
United States will be part of that progress. The science behind global warming
is undeniable – as is the urgency with which we must act.

  Visit The Gavel for photographs of the trip>>

  Learn more from the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global
Warming>>
                                          Click here to unsubscribe.
Visit Speaker.gov

Finding fabulous fares is fun.