----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> We’ve been testing TLS implementations for state machine violations and found
> a number of unexpected behaviours.
> See: http://www.smacktls.com
> I am writing to report a bug in classpath’s TLS implementation at
> gnu/javax/net/ssl/provider
>
> Both the client and server in classpath’s TLS library allow the peer to skip
> the ChangeCipherSpec message, hence disabling encryption.
> That is, they will accept a Finished message in the handshake even if they
> have not received a ChangeCipherSpec message.
> The easy fix is to require CCS before finished, *and* to ensure that no
> messages are received between CCS and Finished.
>
> The bug allows the peer to downgrade any TLS connection to plaintext.
> This is worrying in itself, but also opens up more serious attacks.
> For example, see the attacks on Java in
> http://http://www.smacktls.com/smack.pdf
>
> I’d be happy to discuss this bug in more details with whoever’s working on
> that bit of the code.
> We have tests and demos and would be happy to help test patches.
>
> Best,
> Karthik

Funnily enough, I was just reading the site this morning and realising
that we'd patched this in OpenJDK in January.

I'll take a look at fixing this in the GNU Classpath code and would
be interested in any tests/demos you have to help. Is the web server
mentioned on smacktls.com still operational?

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: ed25519/35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222

PGP Key: rsa4096/248BDC07 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07