Thanks for the suggestions.

It appears that this is a bug with cmake, as it has been encountered
elsewhere:

Despite setting CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES as i386, cmake builds x86_64
binaries on Snow Leopard, as default setting for gcc version 4.2.1 is
now x86_64.

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-August/031677.html

As mentioned in the thread, setting

CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386;ppc