I just wrote my own macro append_property(type name value) for this.
example:
append_property(SOURCE COMPILE_FLAGS "-x objective-c++"
translate.cpp stuff.cpp)
or
append_property(TARGET COMPILE_FLAGS "foo" mytarget)
etc

Would be nice to have that as an included macro, or at least a comment in
the documentation about what happens when you pass in a list.

/Johan