On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM, David Cole <david.c...@kitware.com> wrote:

> Again, our main concern here will be backward compatibility, not difficulty
> of encoding semi-colons...
> There are tons of real-world projects that already use all of these variables
> and properties being discussed with their current semantics.

<nods> Understood and agreed.  I had in the back of my mind a
CMAKE_POLICY CMP00## rule of some sort but that would be quite
disruptive...  the other approach that comes to mind would be to have
CMAKE_* variables accept a property of their own telling CMake whether
to treat them as space-separated strings or semi-colon separated lists
with defaults set to the current behavior (although would have the
advantage of not changing behaviors unless the build logic
specifically asked for a different behavior.)

Cheers,
CY