I think that changing the Release mode to generate non portable code
is very nasty side-effect that would bite numerous projects down the
road. I think a better avenue would be to think about adding another
build configuration called ReleaseNative which would produce highly
optimized non portable code. ( Name would need iteration ).

Are you encountering this issue mainly when building locally or for
HPC machines? I ask because maybe expanding the cross compilation
infrastructure to set native flags would be a better avenue.