Hi,

On Tuesday 05 July 2016 23:46:16 J Decker wrote:
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/policy/CMP0065.html
> while I like the idea it suggests, I don't use the flags for -rdynamic so
> this is meaningless to me

I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but if the policy is meaningless to
you, it shouldn't affect you...

> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/prop_tgt/ENABLE_EXPORTS.html#prop_tgt:ENAB
> LE_EXPORTS
>   SET_PROPERTY(TARGET ${project} APPEND PROPERTY COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
> TARGET_LABEL=${TARGET_LABEL};TARETNAME=\"${TARGETNAME}\" )
>
> or
>
>     SET_PROPERTY( TARGET ${project} APPEND PROPERTY COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
> "CONSOLE_SHELL" )
>
> to indicate it's non-WIN32....

First of all, there are the usual standard definitions provided by the
compiler, so you can just use

#if defined(WIN32)
#endif

to check whether the compilation happens for windows or another platform.

If you have the need for additional definitions, it seems to me that the usual
command:

target_compile_definitions( yourTarget PRIVATE COMPILE_SHELL)
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/command/target_compile_definitions.html

Is that what you are searching for?

> I noted at the bottom of that the the default behavior will eventually be
> phased out... but then can we have some other flag to phase it back in?

You can always set policies to “OLD” to revert to the old behavior (until it
is finally phased out). In the case of cmp0065 the documentation explains what
you can do to have the same behavior with the policiy enabled:
Just set the ENABLE_EXPORTS property on the targets that need to export their
symbols.

HTH,
  Johannes