Good to know.  Thanks for the quick response.  Though I do not believe I am
violating that particular rule here.  That is why I do not receive either a
warning or error from CMake in my output.

The only warning I see is from ninja:
ninja: warning: multiple rules generate MD/MDF/Formats/SIG/BCP/v0_1/test.
builds involving this target will not be correct; continuing anyway [-w
dupbuild=warn]
ninja: warning: multiple rules generate MD/MDF/Formats/SIG/BCP/v0_2/test.
builds involving this target will not be correct; continuing anyway [-w
dupbuild=warn]
ninja: warning: multiple rules generate test. builds involving this target will
not be correct; continuing anyway [-w dupbuild=warn]

I think the difference is that my target names are:
MD.MDF.Formats.SIG.BCP.v0_1.test
MD.MDF.Formats.SIG.BCP.v0_2.test

It is the ninja generator that is trying to setup aliases for each of them as a
shortened form.  So I think one of the following statements are true:

*         The cmake rule intended for the above two target names to be invalid.
 But the check to issue a warning or error has a bug causing them to be missed.
 This would explain why I do not get the error in my configure results.

*         The cmake rule intended for the above two target names to be valid.
However, on further reflection the rule should be made stricter to include my
target names above.  This would then require and update to the cmake code
checking that policy and lead to me actually getting a warning or error from
cmake during configure.

*         The ninja generator has a bug and is setting up ambiguous aliases for
what CMake considers valid target names.

My project is huge so I will try and craft a simplified CMakeLists.txt example
to reproduce the problem as well.

Does this make sense?  Am I still missing something?

-Kris