From: CMake [mailto:cmake-boun...@cmake.org] On Behalf Of Arturo Crespo
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:02 PM
To: cmake@cmake.org
Subject: [CMake] Response files not working with TI compilers

Dear All,

I'm currently using CMake-3.7.1 to build a big project with different TI
compilers (cl6x, armcl, cl-arp32)  and since several months ago I started to
use linker response files because the linker command line was too long for
Windows and the build was failing.

When I tried to do this for the first time I got a linker error with an invalid
flag being used, as the TI linker doesn't support response files (-@)

The way CMake invokes the TI linker is as mentioned in the TI documentation by
invoking the compiler with an option to run the linker, i.e. cl6x --run_linker
[options] filename1, ..., filenameN, in TI-CXX.cmake:
set(CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE "<CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER> --run_linker
--output_file=<TARGET> --map_file=<TARGET>.map <CMAKE_CXX_LINK_FLAGS>
<LINK_LIBRARIES> <LINK_FLAGS> <OBJECTS>")

The solution that I found was to change the order of the arguments passed to
the linker, because the TI compiler supports response files (-@) and it passes
that information to the linker, so by moving <OBJECTS> before --run_linker the
problem was solved:
set(CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE "<CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER> <OBJECTS> --run_linker
--output_file=<TARGET> --map_file=<TARGET>.map <CMAKE_CXX_LINK_FLAGS>
<LINK_LIBRARIES> <LINK_FLAGS>")

The same change is needed in TI-C.cmake

This issue is present since at least since CMake-3.3.2

Regards,
Arturo